Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blueberry Bran Muffins: delicious and fiberlicious!!

What I Used for Inspiration:

2 near-empty boxes of seriously stale cereal


I've had two near-empty boxes of cereal sitting in my pantry for a loooooong time (cheerio-esque and ode to raisin bran). I absolutely hate throwing food out (duh!), so I kept holding onto them until I had inspiration to turn them into something delicious! Today was the day--I remember my mom making some bran muffins from bran cereal, so I thought ok let's try something similar with what I have!

After a quick search online, I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did! These muffins are low in fat, full of fiber, have just the right amount of sweetness, and are just plain yummy!


Blueberry Bran Muffins

*recipe adapted from the Cheerios Muffins available at www.mrbreakfast.com

yield: 12 muffins

2 cup Cheerios or similar cereal

1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp baking soda

1 cup apple sauce

1/3 cup milk

1 egg

3 T vegetable or canola oil

1 cup fresh blueberries or 1/2 cup raisins

Prehet oven to 400 degrees.

Prepare 12 muffin cups with paper lining or grease.


Using a food processor, grind the Cheerios (or other cereal) into a powder.




In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the Cheerios, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda.



Stir in the applesauce, milk, egg, and oil until the mixture is moistened.




Gently stir in the blueberries. Mmmm blueberries...




Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and bake about 15 minutes until golden brown. Use the toothpick test to see if they're done. A toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean if they're finished. If batter sticks to the toothpick, give it another few minutes.

Ready to go into the oven!



YUMMY!!!





2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of grinding up the Cheerios into a fine powder to mix in--genius! I make healthy blueberry muffins (with unsweetened applesauce too) but next time I'll have to try your recipe out and add the cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1XBet
    Betting in India. It can be great to 1xbet login find the most sol.edu.kg popular brands, especially ones that offer betting on sports such as football, tennis,  Rating: 1/10 · ‎Review 나비효과 by Riku VihreasaariWhere can I find 1xbet?Where can herzamanindir.com/ I find 1xbet betting?

    ReplyDelete