Sunday, March 27, 2011

Salade Nicoise--Simply Satisfying!




I have many hurried evenings due to my insanely busy schedule, so one night I literally had 15 minutes to whip up something "vegetable-y" since I was way below my daily goal for fruits/vegetables. After a quick look in my produce bowl, fridge, and freezer, I knew exactly what I was going to make: a very simple and extremely quick salade nicoise.

The classic Salade Nicoise is a "salade composee" (composed salad) as opposed to the more common "salade mixte" (mixed salad). It typically consists of tender French green beans called haricots verts artfully arranged with boiled red-skinned potatoes, tomato, tuna, nicoise olives, and hard-boiled egg, all dressed with a simple vinaigrette. I had all of the ingredients minus the nicoise olives and potato, but I had suitable substitutes of kalamata olives and sweet potato. I have to say, this was an extremely satisfying dinner that looked beautiful and was incredibly simple to make!


What I Used for Inspiration:

Frozen French green beans (haricots verts)
Wrinkly old sweet potato (yum! haha)
Just-on-the-cusp-of-funky tomato



Salade Nicoise
(2 small servings or 1 large entree)

1 C frozen (or fresh) French green beans, steamed until crisp-tender
1 tomato, funky spots cut off, and sliced in wedges
1 can tuna, drained and mixed with dijon mustard and mayonnaise
1 small sweet potato, steamed, peeled, and cut into thick slices
1 hard boiled egg, sliced
6 kalamata olives
1 T Vinaigrette dressing


Arrange the various vegetables and tuna on the plate as desired, and dress with the vinaigrette. Would make a lovely meal if paired with some nice crusty bread and a glass of wine. Bon appetit!








No comments:

Post a Comment