Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chickpea and Spinach Stew, Nina Style

Once upon a time, I was a poor college student (in a sense, I still am...wah wah). As I couldn't afford to eat meat, my main sources of iron were things like dried beans and cooked spinach. One day, I happened upon a recipe in Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone called Chickpea and Spinach Stew. I had chickpeas, I had spinach. I had dinner! Woo hoo!

I modified this recipe by using frozen chopped spinach and canned chickpeas, because they saved on time, were very inexpensive, and I already had them!



Chickpea and spinach stew with garlic mayonnaise and broiled tilapia make for a very satisfying meal!


Chickpea and Spinach Stew 

(based on the recipe by the same name by Deborah Madison)



  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 pinches red paper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 2 T dried parsley)
  • 1 cup peeled, diced tomatoes, fresh or canned (I use 1 can diced tomatoes, with liquid)
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 bag frozen chopped spinach
  • Garlic Mayonnaise (add minced garlic to mayo to taste)

In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, rosemary, and parsley. Saute for 2 minutes, then lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 12 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, chickpeas, and frozen spinach. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Serve in pasta plates, add a dollop of garlic mayonnaise to each, and garnish with fresh parsley (if desired). (The mayonnaise sounds strange, but it adds a nice hearty consistency to the dish and is really delicious--try it!)

PS: This dish is even better the second day! As such, it can easily be prepared a few days in advance and reheated. It is a great entree, or a wonderful accompaniment to broiled or grilled fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment