Saturday, March 31, 2012

Veggie Burgers with Avocado-Yogurt Spread

Every once in a while I come up with a brilliant (culinary) idea. This one happened to involve some avocados that were not so pretty, but I didn't have the heart to throw out (er, compost). Very little food goes to waste in my house, so I was happy to come up with this nice little trick to save the day!

This idea came about while I was on a fairly strict vegan diet during the Catholic season of Lent. So, where I could have easily used regular plain or plain Greek yogurt to make this spread, I opted for a bit of the plain soy yogurt I had in the fridge.






Veggie Burgers with Avocado-Yogurt Spread



Ingredients:

Veggie burgers of choice (I'm partial to the Dr. Praeger's California Veggie Burgers at Whole Foods and Trader Joes)
Buns of your choice (my new favorite are the Sandwich Thins)

For the spread:
1 not-so-nice-avocado
2 T soy yogurt (or regular yogurt, greek yogurt, or even mayonnaise if you insist)
2 tsp lemon juice


Prepare your veggie burgers as normal. In a small bowl, mash the avocado into a smooth puree and mix in the yogurt and lemon juice. Spread the um... spread... on the bun, and enjoy! This is a nice, healthy cholesterol-free alternative to mayonnaise!

By the way, these burgers went great with my Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Balsamic-Glazed Brussels Sprouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment